Hi everyone! I hope you’re doing well. This. month. has. been. crazy. I traveled over 15 days for work, which meant not being home to make my own food, do my workouts properly and also meant I was eating and drinking more than I ever would have if I weren’t on the road. Still, I was able to mostly stay on track by following my tips for staying in shape while traveling. That being said, I haven’t had a lot of time to create new recipes. But, even with the hustle and bustle, I was able to make these cute little raw pistachio fig bars and also the chicken salad recipe I’m about to share with you- hey, you’ve still gotta eat right?!
Wil and I started buying meat from WE Farms, our local CSA, a little over a year ago and we get an assortment of items each month. We get ground pork, ribs, ground beef, steak and usually a whole chicken or two- and we always have a hard time deciding what to do with the chicken once we bake it. Although we love putting chicken on our salads for lunch, we wanted something a little different this time around. We thought that making a chicken salad would be perfect because it gives the chicken some flavor and is also super easy to eat. It’s also the perfect summer cookout food and is great as a leftover meal.
Here are some of my favorite ways to eat chicken salad:
– With a fork by itself (boring, but oh so tasty!)
– In lettuce wraps
– With cucumber slices
– With plantain chips
– With apple slices (don’t knock it until you try it!)
– On top of spinach salad or mixed greens
See? So many options! I’m not a fan of mayo (I know, I know, crazy right?) so I don’t eat traditional chicken salads. We’ve made our own mayo with this recipe and although it’s actually pretty delicious, I still prefer an oil based or vinaigrette chicken salad. First off, can we talk about how we spell vinaigrette? It looks totally wrong and weird… Anyway, I digress.
This chicken salad recipe is super simple, delicious and packed with flavor. The grapes, apples and honey give it a hint of sweetness and the bacon adds….well it’s bacon so there’s no need for explanation. This recipe is dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free and gluten-free. It’s paleo (if you consider honey paleo and we do in most cases) and is great for kids or adults alike.
You could easily swap out a few of the ingredients I added to the salad itself – maybe add another kind of nut or add pomegranates. What about chopped jicama?! Those would all be tasty too. Anyway you make it, the vinaigrette is tasty and you could play around with that also. So, let’s get to it and see how I make this yummy paleo chicken salad recipe!
Paleo Chicken Salad Recipe
- Chicken Salad:
- 1 pound of chicken (we used a whole, free-range chicken we had baked) chopped
- 1 cup green apple chopped
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup bacon chopped (or however much bacon you want!)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons organic honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (use light olive oil for a milder flavor)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, honey, olive oil, ground mustard seed and sea salt. Whisk until well combined. In a large bowl, add the chicken, apple, grapes, walnuts, celery and bacon. Mix together and then pour the vinaigrette over the chicken mixture. Mix well until combined. Keep refrigerated- will keep for approximately 3-5 days. Enjoy!
Tagged: chicken salad, dairy free, dairy-free chicken salad, egg-free, egg-free chicken salad, gluten-free, gluten-free chicken salad, healthy, Paleo chicken salad, paleo chicken salad recipe, paleo recipe, recipe